Why we are opposed to SB 11
1. The will of the people - Coloradans have expressed overwhelming opposition to homosexual marriage. The civil union bill is just an attempt to do a side-run around this opposition and give the homosexual lobby all the benefits of marriage without using the term.
2. Freedom of religion for adoption - there is no provision to exempt adoption agencies from placing children with homosexual couples if it goes against their religious beliefs.
3. Freedom of religion for private business - While there is an exemption in the bill for ministers and priests, a photographer who had religious opposition could get sued for refusing to photograph a civil union 'ceremony.' The same could hold true for florists, meeting venues and other private businesses.
4. Economic - the civil unions law will add thousands of people to those entitled to benefits, at a time when entitlement spending is already threatening the state budget.
What we want:
1. This should be a referedum to the voters. It is a very important decision for the State to make, and to make it without a clear expressed will of the people is undemocratic and wrong.
2. If it is not referred to a vote of the people, there should be a recall movement against those in the legislature who ram it through despite the will of the voters.
3. This will require organization down to the precinct level, and funding to continue the fight. Click on the links on the page to volunteer time and or donate funds.